Leading EAL in primary schools (4 days)
A comprehensive four-day course* for teachers taking a leadership role in English as an additional language within their school.
*please note that you must be able to attend all 4 dates to take part
Who should attend
primary EAL co-ordinators, classroom teachers, middle and senior managers
What you will gain by attending the course
- strategies and approaches for working with the full range of EAL learners
- guidance on implementing a cohesive approach to EAL
- confidence to lead on EAL across the school
- improved classroom and whole school practice for all pupils
The course covers, in depth:
- practical strategies to enable the full range of EAL pupils, from beginners to more advanced, to participate and achieve
- the linguistic and social issues for recent arrivals new to English
- systems for the welcome and induction of new arrivals and their families
- guidelines to engage all new arrivals – in particular the approaches Ofsted are looking for
- ways to promote a positive whole school ethos with respect to diversity
- how to establish a classroom and whole school strategy to ensure a consistent approach to language development
Chiaka’s experience includes 15 years as Head of EMA in a school where she focused on planning with and coaching teachers in working with EAL learners. A member of the IEDP, Chiaka has dealt with a number of sensitive issues around diversity and race equality. During Chiaka’s 5 years as a local authority adviser, she managed two national research-based projects. She also worked closely with leadership teams and governing bodies offering advice and training in preparation for Ofsted inspections.
Lots of good practice which can be implemented relatively easily... Strategic planning good for moving this further on. A very worthwhile four days - thank you!
Liked the induction - by putting us in the shoes of a parent it really gave food for thought. Good range of strategies for use with all ages of children and appropriate for all different types of staff - teachers, leadership etc.
Good range of theory and practical ideas: the 'big picture' and day-to-day reality. Very appropriate for me in my role and for the school overall.
The whole 4 days has been very informative giving lots of excellent strategies to use. The action plan and audit have been particularly useful to establish our next stps - for me as EAL Coordinator and for the school.
EAL and Inclusion Leader
... very informative and engaging... has covered many aspect of EAL from leading to administration. It will enable me to lead effectively and also teach EAL pupils to accelerate their progress.
Class Teacher and EAL Lead
Feel well resourced to implement action plan!
... keen to get back to school and implement what I have learnt and share it with staff.
Lots of very useful strategies which can be used to support not only EAL children but all our children with acquisition of language.
SENCO and Acting Deputy
The practical activities were fantastic!