Leading EAL in secondary schools
This course is for
- secondary EAL co-ordinators
- middle and senior managers
What you will gain by attending the course
- confidence in leading EAL across the school
- a cohesive approach to EAL
- improved classroom and whole school practice for all pupils
- provides practical strategies to enable the full range of EAL learners – from beginners to more advanced – to participate and achieve
- considers the linguistic and social issues for those new to English
- offers systems for the welcome and induction of new arrivals and their families
- offers advice on implementing Ofsted guidelines to engage all new arrivals
- suggests ways to promote a positive whole school ethos with respect to diversity
- details how to establish a classroom and whole school strategy to ensure a consistent approach to language development
Mark Penfold has been a teacher for more than 30 years and for the last 12 years has been Lead Teacher for Ethnic Minority Achievement at Babington Community College Leicester. He has written two manuals on delivering EAL in secondary schools and presented at many workshops and seminars on the same topic. Mark has also become widely known for his successful work in engaging with the new migrant Roma communities and is a founding trustee of The Roma Education Support Trust, a UK based charity which promotes better education outcomes for Roma heritage pupils across Europe.
... thank you for the fantastic training course ... very helpful indeed and provided everyone with great guidance and direction. We look foward to trying out new ideas at our establishment.
I would just like to take this oppurtunity to say a BIG thank you for your inspiring inset on EAL yesterday. It was a very practical course that did 'exactly what it says on the tin'.
I filled my notebook with notes and ideas to pursue. [Complete with a drawing of a happy smiley face!]
Some excellent resources (academic literacy) that we will share with staff. Very useful to be able to reflect upon where we are strategically with our EAL provision and to revitalise our efforts in this area.