Raising Roma achievement
A one day course packed with successful strategies for engaging with new Roma communities and promoting better education outcomes
Who should attend
- primary and secondary teachers, middle and senior management with strategic responsibility for English as an additional language learners and Roma heritage pupils
What you will gain by attending the course
- a greater understanding of how to promote positive educational outcomes for the new Roma communities and EAL learners of all backgrounds
- more than 100 proven strategies for raising achievement of pupils from the new Roma communities
- a range of resources and policy templates to assist in forming a whole school approach to ensuring better education outcomes for Roma and other EAL learners
The course covers the following topics in relation to EAL learners and Roma heritage pupils:
- outlines the induction process and ascription of students
- presents a range of strategies that are proven to raise achievement
- shows how to use data to inform practice
- details the use of monitoring and tracking led interventions
- considers the importance of developing a whole school ethos in relation to Roma pupils
Mark Penfold, a teacher for more than 30 years, has more recently been Lead Teacher for Ethnic Minority Achievement at Babington Community College, Leicester. He has written two manuals, and presented at workshops and seminars on delivering EAL in secondary schools. He is becoming more widely known for his successful work in engaging with the new migrant Roma communities.
Mark is a founding trustee of The Roma Education Support Trust, a UK based charity which promotes better education outcomes for Roma heritage pupils across Europe. He has been invited to speak in the European Parliament, and is working with the ministry of education in Slovakia and three schools in the Czech Republic to create centres of excellence in educating Roma young people.
Mark believes that the successful work with Roma pupils is based in sound EAL practice.
…what you proposed and demonstrated was coherent and principled and practical. It gave me new perspectives and quite concrete ideas on how to improve my own practice.
Thanks for an insightful, interesting and informative session
We are emailing to say a huge thank you to Mark Penfold for delivering a fantastic training course … he provided us with a multitude of resources, answered all our queries and provided everyone with great guidance and direction. A truly fantastic speaker. Thank you!
Lots of good insight and background information about Roma which I was previously unaware of. This will help me in my role as I feel I have a better understanding of their culture.
Nice to hear from someone who has experienced similar situations to our school and has come out the other side.
I'm looking forward to adapting our induction policy to ensure it fully meets needs and expectations of new arrivals and their parents.