Answering extended writing questions at GCSE (Science / Business Studies / PE)
We currently run this course for science, business studies and physical education (PE).
This course is for
- Secondary classroom teachers
- Secondary school leaders
What you will gain by attending the course
- Knowledge of how language works in a subject-specific context
- Strategies for teaching writing for extended writing questions
- Simple techniques for practising the right kind of language
- Shows how language varies in different subject contexts
- Shows you how the language of the question leads to the language of the answer
- Explores how to teach the language structures and vocabulary that improve the answer
Catharine Driver has extensive experience in academic literacy, working with multilingual schools and local authorities across the UK. Her expertise in data collection and analysis helps raise achievement at whole school and departmental level. Catharine has worked as senior adviser for the British Council EAL Nexus project and the National Literacy Trust.
Mike Hawkins has specialised in EAL for over 20 years. He has worked with over 200 primary and secondary schools across the UK, as well as overseas, and with several Local Authorities. Michael’s work in supporting pupils with EAL and underachieving ethnic minority groups has been recognised by the Department for Education (DFE) and OFSTED on numerous occasions.