Language and literacy for learning
Better teaching for all through a better understanding of language
We are pleased to be partnering with Lexised Education to deliver this excellent virtual course.
3L puts language at the heart of every teacher’s toolkit. Whether you are teaching Science, Mathematics or Art, whether you are teaching children in their primary language or not, this course can transform your work.
By focusing on how students and teachers make meaning across the curriculum, 3L promotes an integrated, whole-school approach that allows all teachers to become effective teachers of literacy.
Formerly known as Literacy for Learning (LfL), which has been shown to achieve significant improvement in students’ writing across all learning and literacy areas, 3L’s content reflects the latest developments in theory and practice.
Created with the current global context firmly in mind, 3L is currently available for 100% online delivery only.
Who is it for?
- – 3L is relevant for all classroom teachers in all school contexts.
- – 3L is aimed specifically at teachers working with students aged between 8 and 18 years.
What will I learn?
- – how student literacy is a capacity for making meaning across the whole curriculum, predominantly through language and visuals
- – the ways that language underpins learning
- – teaching practices that will build up students’ language and visual resources so that they can be successful learners across all learning areas
- – teaching practices that address student’s language and learning needs in a holistic and explicit manner
- – positive strategies for self-reflection and self-appraisal
- – how to develop collaborative working relationships with other teachers across subject areas
- – how to pass on your new understanding and skills to your whole school
How does it work?
When you do a course with Lexis Education, you learn the skills you need in the classroom, but you also learn how to be a tutor for other teachers. This train-the-trainer method ensures that schools can benefit from our professional development in a cost-effective way that is school-managed.
We refer to the courses we deliver as the Tutor Training, and the courses you then deliver as the Teacher Course.
We deliver Tutor Training in intensive multi-day courses to small groups of up to 10 teachers online, or up to about 15 teachers at host venues around the world. 3L is structured as a 4-day tutor course.
Once you have successfully completed the Tutor Training course, you will be a Licensed Tutor. This allows you to deliver the Teacher Course, which incorporates group workshops, classroom-based activities and highly practical readings.
The course entails 20 hours of face-to-face learning, which, when combined with between-module readings and activities, is equivalent to more than 45 hours of professional development for teachers.
What’s new in 2020?
- 3L has been updated to reflect the latest developments in the course’s theoretical underpinnings as well as in the practice of teachers and schools.
- New activities and more tailored content, with options for Primary and Secondary contexts.
- New intuitive design and increased use of videos to enhance and support delivery.
Applying for the course
Our next 3L Tutor Training will be delivered over 4 days: 25-26 Feb and 1-2 March 2021.
The cost of the 3L Tutor Training is £2,495 (exclusive of UK VAT). This price includes a hard copy of the tutor training materials which will be sent to you in advance.
To register for the course please email us at email@example.com. providing the following details:
– Email address
– Postal address
– Name for invoice
– Email address for invoice